Several religious people do know that we are coming closer to special times predicted in the Holy Writings. Coming closer to these times of prophesy also the Chosen People of God find their way back to the Word of God and to the importance not only to gather but also to show their unity in their activities and prayer houses as well as gathering in the promised Holy Land.
Kopitiam Bot, a blog started by a group of Singaporeans who are passionate about current affairs, technology, startups, money-matters, lifestyle, and a good cup of coffee, looks at the Singaporean synagogues and Singapore’s Jewish community, which numbered between 2,000 and 2,500.
It is like they hear the voices again of Rotem Benor and Rabbi Yehouda Cohen who filled the Maghain Aboth Synagogue, oldest surviving synagogue in South-east Asia, built in 1878, in Waterloo Street and the worship of others at the Chesed-El Synagogue in Oxley Rise, which both were gazetted as national monuments in 1998.
- middle of prayer halls are bimahs = podium or platform from where the rabbi or reader leads the congregational prayers.
- first + now defunct synagogue = built in the 1840s in a shophouse along fittingly named Synagogue Street in Boat Quay
- need for a bigger place of worship arose as a growing number of Jews began moving into residences in the Dhoby Ghaut and Bras Basah areas. The community comprised Jews of Iraqi Sephardic descent and European Ashkenazi Jews, added the PSM.
- Merchant and philanthropist Manasseh Meyer who owned property along Oxley Rise, built the Chesed-El synagogue in 1905.
- scientist Albert Einstein described the Oxley Rise place of worship as “magnificent” when he visited Mr Meyer and the Jewish community in 1922.
- Towers and other tall buildings
- Hong Kong vs Singapore
- Backpacking Southeast Asia: Singapore
- Exploring Arab Street & Rochor Centre
- Earthlings N°1
- Pompompurin Cafe, Singapore
- Singapore Night Festival 2016
- Transitioning home
- NDR 2016: MUIS, PERGAS to work together to make asatizah scheme mandatory
- Supper Alone, Kitchener Road
- Conservationist bags first ‘outstanding advocate’ award, Environment News & Top Stories – The Straits Times
- Architecture in Singapore
- Singapore: Singapore Storms
- 3 Reasons Enjoying Yourself in Singapore is So Expensive These Days