2-6 July 2018 – with Kristin De Troyer
The Hebrew and Greek Texts of Joshua
With the Salzburg Seniors ́ Seminar on
Hebrew and Greek Manuscripts,Texts and Contexts by
William Horbury (Cambridge), Günther Stemberger (Vienna), Johann Maier (Cologne), Andrew Macintosh (Cambridge), Stefan Reif (Cambridge) and Tessa Rajak (Oxford)
If you are a graduate student considering further study in Septuagint, you should consider being supervised by Dr. Kristin De Troyer in the beautiful city of Salzburg.
For the second year in a row, Dr. Kristin De Troyer is offering a week-long summer school dealing with textual criticism and history.
The next Salzburg Summer School for Text Criticism is devoted to the book of Joshua. Focusing on Josh 8:30-35, we will journey through Hebrew Bible editions, Hebrew Manuscripts, Dead Sea Scrolls editions, Dead Sea Scrolls images, Old Greek critical editions, Greek manuscripts, Latin manuscripts, and even a bit of Josephus.
The students of the course will also take the time to work on how to retrovert texts, do some translation technique exercises, and wonder (and worry) about the Lucianic/Antiochean text, kaige and the Early Jewish Revisers. Finally they will put all the pieces together and come up with a solution for the Josh 8:30-35 problem. During the week, there will also be a senior scholars´seminar where the following brilliant minds will speak about manuscripts, texts, and contexts. Accommodation is available at the guesthouse of the Benedictine monastery, which is less than 300 feet away from the faculty of theology, in the amazingly beautiful old historic centre of Salzburg. Small scholarships are available on request.
- There is ten-student limit for the course. That means you’ll need to make a competitive application.
- There is a “Seniors’ Seminar” included. As part of the summer school, candidates will not only have access to Dr. De Troyer for a week, but they will also get to hear and interact with the following speakers dealing with these topics:
Class schedule: Monday July 2 to Friday July 6, 9-12 and 14 to 17.
Arrival on Sunday July 1, 2018 is recommended.
Seniors ́ Seminar on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning, followed by
dinner for all participants, juniors and seniors!
Prerequisites: (maximum 10 students will be admitted!)
– USA/Canada: an MA in Biblical Studies, Theological Studies or Religious
Studies or an MDiv,
– UK/Australia/etc: an honours degree in Biblical, Theological or Religious
– Any equivalent to the above mentioned options.
– Sufficient knowledge of Hebrew and Greek.
Credits: 5 ECTS (= 2.5 US Sem credits)-6 ECTS (mit Arbeit oder Prüfung; with paper
and exam; = 3 US Sem credits)
Instruction language: English Fee: €150
– Please send a letter of motivation, a transcript and a CV to Prof Kr istin De
Troyer, FB Bibelwissenschaften & Kirchengeschichte, Theologische Fakultät,
Universitätsplatz 1, A-5020 Salzburg, Austria.
– Please indicate whether or not you would like us to book a room for you in
Haus St Benedikt (Toscaninihof 1, 5020 Salzburg; pp/pn: 60 for students;
75 for Double room/ 90 for Single room).
– Application due date: April 15, 2018.