Having a look at some present excavations which may attract the present tourist in the Holy Land.
Archeological digs in the Biblical City of David started in 1867 – exactly 100 years before the city returned to Jewish control – by The Palestine Exploration Fund (P.E.F), led by Captain Charles Warren. But the first excavator to reach the thick of the fortress, without even realizing it at the time, was a treasure […]
Originally posted on HolyLandPhotos' Blog:
In 1913 Raymond Weill excavated in the “City of David” and found a large limestone block—ca. 30 in. x 16 in.—that contained a clear 10 line Greek inscription. “Theodotus Synagogue Inscription” found in Jerusalem. Click on image to Enlarge and/or Download. The inscription reads: “Theodotos, son of Vettenos, priest and…