The Law Covenant called for strict compliance with the letter of commandments that were external to the people, and contrary to their constitutional tendencies.
The better promise and provision of the New Covenant is that the law of God is to be written on the hearts and minds of its beneficiaries, so that, eventually, it will be part of their very being. The Law Covenant had no provision for mercy to be extended unto everlasting life to those who slipped on account of weakness of the flesh; the better promise of the New Covenant is that God will be
“merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins will I remember no more.”
Under the old covenant the people were only involved the more in death, and additionally condemned; the letter killed them. Under the New Covenant, their disposition and desire of heart to do right are acceptable, and by the processes of this Covenant their characters gradually become established in righteousness. The spirit gives life; and this is the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus, which makes free from the law of sin and death. — 2 Cor. 3: 3, 6-8, 18; Heb 8: 8-12; 10: 16, 17; Rom. 7: 6, 10, 24; 8: 1-4.
- What Is The Old Covenant?
- What is the Old Covenant: Part 1
- Zechariah, Elizabeth, Christmas, and the Law of God
- Are the 10 Commandments Binding on Christians Today?
- Why the Ten Commandments are Indispensable for Christians (II)
- Continuance of the 10 commandments – an alternate view
- Weary & Hopeful, The Covenant with Israel
- The Old Testament Is The Basis For The New
- The Covenants-Chapter 3b-3-The Covenant of Eden
- The Covenants-Chapter 4d-The Covenant of Redemption
- The Covenants-Chapter 4e-The Covenant of Redemption
- The Covenants-Chapter 4f-The Covenant of Redemption
- The Covenants-Chapter 4g-The Covenant of Redemption
- The Covenants-Chapter 4h-The Covenant of Redemption
- The Covenants-Chapter 4i-The Covenant of Redemption
- The Covenants-Chapter 4j-The Covenant of Redemption
- The Covenants-Chapter 5-The Covenant of promise in Christ to Abraham
- The Covenants-Chapter 5a-The Covenant of promise in Christ to Abraham
- The Covenants-Chapter 5b-The Covenant of promise in Christ to Abraham
- The Covenants-Chapter 5c-The Covenant of promise in Christ to Abraham
- Things in Common – on Law and Gospel
- Colossians 2 BHT, The Mystery of God in Christ, and the Law
- The Propriety of Natural Law
- The Constitution and Law
- Exploring the New Covenant
- These Two Commandments
- Fulfilled or Abolished
- Have we left the old covenant behind us?
- Slavery to the old-testament and old-covenant 
- Slavery to the old-testament and old-covenant [917a]
- New Covenant Theology, Progressive Covenantalism and nagging question of morality